7/09/2015

Worst storm I've ever seen

I don't write about personal things a lot because nothing interesting happens to me. But yesterday we had a terrible storm where I live and I just have to write about it a little.
Putting it under a read more because of reasons.
Yesterday at around 3:30-4:00 pm, clouds started gathering in the sky. We've had really hot days, so it came as a relief that the sun finally disappeared (it was 40°C in my window at noon). It started raining and western wind was blowing. The wind was getting stronger and stronger and the rain turned into a hailstorm. It got so intense we could barely see what was going on outside.
At first we thought we'd get some nice refreshing rain, but it got terrifying. There was a big dust cloud, the wind kept shaking the trees and carrying plants and dust around, we even saw pieces of paint that came off of the walls of our house flying by our windows with an insane speed.
This is how the above scenery looks like on a normal sunny day:

The storm didn't last for very long, but it was devastating. When the hail/rain stopped, we noticed that several branches of the nearby mulberry tree had been broken.

As soon as the heavy rain ceased, our favourite wild birds started coming. I brought their food inside when it started raining, so they couldn't find much. I was glad they were fine, though.
Birb don't give a shit. Birb got places to be.

 Anyway, the worst thing only came today when we decided to take a walk with my mother. There's so much debris and garbage everywhere. Leaves, plant parts, branches, dust, etc. It's like... a war zone or something. The thing we didn't expect: the storm destroyed so many beautiful old trees. The wind was so strong it literally dragged whole giant trees out of the ground or broke them in half if their roots were too strong and deep down in the ground. It makes me feel so bad because I was born and grew up in this place. I was an introverted nature-loving child and those trees were my friends. They've always been here for me to enjoy their shade in summer or smell their flowers in spring and now they were destroyed in an instant.
 This one was a tall tree with a large tree-stratum (I do realize tree-stratum isn't the right expression but I can't remember what a group of tree branches is called in English and online dictionary is a bitch.) The wind tore it from the ground while breaking a bunch of smaller trees (or they were broken as the giant tree fell) and even the nearby street lamp fell victim to the storm. This might have been the worst case we saw because it was a really large tree and it could have caused even more damage.

 This was a very tragic scene to us because this tree with the silver leaves was one of our favourites. I remember when we went to see it in May when it was in full bloom, the smell was mesmerizing. I got so sad when I saw its roots completely out of the ground and the tree bark and branches in pieces and piles. :(

 An unfortunate evergreen tree/shrub near the town hall.

Ok, nature is beautiful and also terrifying. I haven't lived for too long yet, but this was the strongest, scariest storm I've ever seen. I've never seen such damage done to the place where I live. It will take weeks or maybe even months to clean it up completely. I'm hoping they will plant new trees, but it takes 100 years or so for small young trees to grow to a considerable size...

No comments:

Post a Comment